Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
In memory of Dennis the Menace 1987-2009

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Horse Books I Want to Share With You

I love to read. I have been looking at books about horses every since I was a little girl when having a horse was just a dream. I am going to list some of my favorites.


To start is the book Conquerors  The Roots of New World Horsemanship by Dr. Deb Bennett, Ph.D. 
This book is a history book that I could not put down.I have never looked at horses the same since reading this book and I think all horse lovers should read it. Dr. Deb Bennett is a brilliant woman. We went to one of her clinics and found that she is a walking encyclopedia of horse knowledge and history. This book will teach you many interesting things about the origins of horses and horse breeds. The history of riding, riding styles and tack and much more.


Next on the list is a true story by Mim Eichler Rivas , Beautiful Jim Key The Lost History of A Horse and A Man Who Changed the World.
This horse was said to have the I.Q. equivalent to a human sixth grader and could read, write, spell, tell time, do mathematics, cite biblical passages, sort mail and debate politics. He was world famous in his day and played a big part in the animal rights movement and Humane Society. Read this book! You will love it and love your horse even more after reading it.


My Horses My Teachers by Alois Podhajsky the former director of the Spanish Riding School. He tells of the horses that taught him over the years and it is very touching and funny at times, as well as educational.


Talking With Horses by Henry Blake
This Englishman tells tales of his horse training experiences and about horse language and telepathy. Very interesting,educational, and funny book.


School of Horsemanship by Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere
The theory's in this book provide the basis for all modern equitation and is probably the most important work on the subject ever written. I found it surprisingly easy to read even though it was published in 1729-31. A great book to go to if you need help understanding dressage terms and explanations. This is it. The drawings are beautiful and reading about horse care from a different time is so fascinating.
Of course I can't do most of these things and just because I read about them I don't  always understand but it gives you  a head start to read the masters! I read out loud to Jack and he gives me an explanation of what I am reading if it does not make sense.


Workbook from the Spanish School  by Charles Harris.
This is the account of a man who was accepted into the Spanish School during the time of Alois Podhajsky. He was a very unlikely candidate and that it happened at all is amazing. His story is  a great look into what it is was like to be at the school. He suffered from mental illness and at times the story is sad but in the end it turns out well and is inspiring. The drawings and notes he took while at the school are included.  I like to stare at them and try to understand but....well you really can see why horsemanship is an art! There is so much to learn.


The Revolution In Horsemanship by Robert M. Miller. D.V.M. and Rick Lamb
This is a great book that explains where and how the natural horsemanship movement began. 


Easy Gaited Horses by Lee Zieglar
I learned so much about gaited horses from this book. The explanations of how the different gaits feel and look are really helpful.My book is full of highlights, the pages are worn and stuffed with print outs of articles about ambling, pacing and gaited horses in history.


I will post more books in the future but these are a few of my all time favorites.
I hope you will enjoy them as much as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment